Dealing with a breakup is difficult which can result in a resurgence of habits that take a toll on our mental health. Managing a breakup in an empowered way helps us to deal with hurt in a positive and productive way as opposed to taking the pain out on ourselves.
- Self-care is key. If your best friend called you and told you they broke up with their significant other, what would you do to make them feel better? Then do that for you.
- Cry it out. Don’t hold it in. Breakups are hard, and the feeling you have are valid. With each good cry you let go of the hurt a little bit more.
- Unplug. Especially from social media. It is human nature to want to see what your ex is up to after a break up. However, ask yourself the question… is looking at their photos, comments, likes, friends they added, etc. going to be helpful? Probably not.
- Create change. Sprucing up your room, home, or office space can breathe new life into a space that might feel empty after a break-up. It’s amazing how far a good clean, a scented candle, and a furniture switch-a-roo can go.
- Spend time with friends and family. We all need support when we’re feeling down.
- Get moving. Fresh air can lift your spirit, and exercise helps increase endorphins in your body which can help improve your mood.
- Enjoy being single. Relationships, especially difficult ones can take up a lot of time and energy. Break ups are a way to let go of a relationship that no longer serves your best interests. Sometimes being single is better than being in an unhappy relationship. Now is the time to focus on you and what makes you happy.
- It’s ok to ask for help. If you are really struggling talk to someone about it. There’s is nothing wrong with seeking professional help. Sometimes an objective party can help you to process the loss and painful emotions that come with it. They can also provide extra support that you may feel uncomfortable about asking friends and for, and may also be able to teach you new ways of coping.
Click here to subscribe to my mailing list and receive exciting news and updates.